The Basic Requirements of Naturalization
An individual who wishes to become a naturalized United States citizen may do so if they meet certain criteria (although some exceptions may exist). The individual must be:
- A permanent United States resident (as a green card holder),
- Residing in the U.S. continuously for at least five (5) years (or three (3) years for most spouses of U.S. citizens),
- Residing in the state the application will be filed in for at least three (3) consecutive months,
- Present in the U.S. for at least two and a half (2 ½) years in the last five (5) years of required residence (or one and a half (1 ½) years in the last three (3) years for most spouses of U.S. citizens),
- Able to satisfy the requirements of the English Test (reading, writing, and speaking),
- Able to satisfy the requirements of the U.S. History and Government Test,
- Of good moral character,
- Residing in the U.S. continuously from the filing date of the application for naturalization until actually granted U.S. citizenship,
- Of at least 18 years of age,
- Committed to the principles of the U.S. Constitution.
Naturalization Application Process:
Upon the completion and filing of the naturalization application, applicants must then consent to having their biometrics taken and recorded. Once an applicant has passed their naturalization interview, English Test, and Government and History Test, they will be considered for naturalization. Once all requirements have been satisfied and the applicant is granted citizenship, the applicant will then have to take an oath during the naturalization ceremony.
When filed in the United States at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) (see the disclaimer on this page), the filing fee currently charged by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) and the attorney’s fee charged by the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC are as follows:
- $750 for attorney’s fees
- $725 for US CIS filing fee for the main petition
At the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC, our attorneys are extensively experienced in representing individuals seeking U.S. citizenship by way of naturalization. Please take a moment to examine a sample of approved naturalization cases.