Call Today 512-323-2333
We help families and individuals Achieve the American Dream. Start Your Evaluation Chat Live Now!
William Jang William Jang

FB1 – Family Based Immigration for Unmarried Sons and Daughters of US Citizens

Basic Requirements:

Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. Citizens, who are also 21 years old or older, are eligible under the family-sponsored first preference. To be considered “unmarried,” an individual must never have been married to begin with or has been divorced or widowed. The U.S. citizen parent of a qualifying unmarried son or daughter may petition for his or her green card under this immigration preference category. Since they are no longer considered dependent children (because they are at least 21 years old), these individuals do not qualify as an immediate family member of their U.S. citizen parent. With only 23,400 visas available annually under their preference, including any visas unused by the forth preference category, there is typically a long waiting list for this first preference. While the waiting time does fluctuate, individuals waiting for a green card under this preference should expect to wait around seven years after initially filing their petition. However, anyone immigrating from the Dominican Republic, Philippines, Mexico, China, or India should expect to wait even longer that the seven years.

Family Members:

Once an unmarried son or daughter of a U.S. citizen gains a green card, his or her children (those under 21 and unmarried) will be eligible as derivatives permanent resident status (green card). As such, children may accompany successful applicants into the United States.

Application Process:

There are two steps in the application process for this immigration preference category. To get the process started, a U.S. citizen parent must file a petition on behalf of their unmarried child (who is 21 or over). After the petition has been successfully filed, the USCIS will issue the applicants with a priority date. Once that date is reached, indicating that a visa has become available for this immigration category, the daughter or son (accompanied by their immediate family) may initiate the next step. Should the applicant already be legally in the United States, he or she may adjust his or her status. Alternatively, should the applicant be outside of the U.S., he or she would need to apply through consular processing.


At the William Jang, PLLC, our immigration lawyers typically charge the following in attorney’s fees when filed in the United States at the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) (please read this disclaimer), in addition to the filing fee that is currently charged by the USCIS:

[Step 1]

  • $750 in attorney’s fees for the immigration petition.
  • $420 for the US CIS immigration petition filing fee

[Step 2]

  • $1,500 in attorney’s fees per immediate family for adjustment of status.
  • $1,070 per each person ($635.00 for each person under 14 years of age if applying with parent) accompanying the applicant

*The quoted prices are for individuals who are already in the United States and who need to file for an Adjustment of Status. If applying from outside of the U.S., a different set of fees will be charged.


At the William Jang, PLLC, our Austin-based immigration lawyers are extensively experienced in immigration law and with the representation of family members of U.S. citizens who wish to obtain green cards. Please take a look at a sample of approved cases we have handled.

What do we need to get started?

Information and Documents needed for FB1 – Unmarried Son or Daughter of US Citizen
Sample Retainer Agreement

What Our Clients Are Saying

Mustafa Okandan
Mustafa Okandan May 17, 2017

William has practical solutions for complicated business settings and he uses charts and tables effectively to elaborate business processes. I definitely enjoyed his way of detailed work and cooperation. Best of all, he handles the case by himself completely in a timely manner.

Yanitza Gutierrez
Yanitza Gutierrez May 16, 2017

To start my dad was already a client of mr. Jang and he had great results. my dad had recommended me going with mr. Jang I was a DACA student and had thought that I had no results with trying to get my green card with immigration but my dad told me to try, and I did and it was a struggle but at the... Read More

Dong Min Han
Dong Min Han Apr 01, 2017

Fully satisfied!! William and his team helped me and my family with citizenship, change of name, and change of status. They answered my questions clearly. All of my cases was approved!

Hwang Kyuwon
Hwang Kyuwon Feb 09, 2017

Very friendly and efficient! I highly recommend his team to anyone looking for great immigration related services.

Felipe mtz
Felipe mtz Jul 19, 2016

Buen abogado siempre al pendiente de tu caso siempre firme

Shahid Gaus
Shahid Gaus May 19, 2016

I cannot describe how efficient Willam and his team is. We feel Blessed and very thankful to have hired him as our attorney. He was with us all the way till we resolved our immigration issues. he even skyped with us several times when he was visiting Korea and we needed his help. I would highly... Read More

Clementina Anguiano
Clementina Anguiano May 19, 2016

He was straight and to the point with all our immigration questions. We went to him for renewal of permanent residence and it was awsome. Now we will be contacting him for citizenship.

Marco Blazquez
Marco Blazquez Dec 19, 2015

Mr. Jang and his associates are by far the most professional and comprehensive law firm I have encountered. They produce results that are phenomenal. My wife and son were granted LPR in less than four months. If you are looking for a world class immigration law firm, look no further!!!!

See More Reviews
Don’t wait until it’s too late!  Contact us today at 512-323-2333
Law Office of William Jang, PLLC Law Office of William Jang, PLLC (512) 323-2333
314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406 Austin TX 78752