Call Today 512-323-2333
We help families and individuals Achieve the American Dream.Start Your Evaluation Chat Live Now!

B-2 Visa/Status – Temporary Visitors for Pleasure

Basic Requirements:

The B-2 visa status is available to people who wish to briefly visit the United States for the purposes of tourism or visiting family and friends. As such, Individuals who obtain the B-2 status may not gain employment in the United States and may only engage in legitimate activities. As prerequisites to this visa status, individuals must only intend to remain in the U.S. for a limited period of time, maintain a foreign residence, and possess adequate financial capabilities.

Duration of Stay:

The B-2 status is typically granted for an initial period of six months, but may be extended for another six month period.

If you’re traveling to the United States and plan to stay for 90 days or less, you may be able to enter the country without needing a B-2 visa. This only applies to travelers who meet certain specifications under the Visa Waiver Program. Currently, there are 39 countries included in the Visa Waiver Program. You can read more about the Visa Waiver Program here.

Furthermore, residents of Canada and Bermuda can make short trips to the United States without a visa under certain circumstances. You can read more about those rules here. Finally, because B-2 visitors are designed specifically for travel and tourism, you cannot obtain a B-2 visa for the following purposes:

  • Studying in the U.S.
  • Finding a job
  • Professional performances
  • Arriving in the U.S. as a crew member on a ship or aircraft
  • Working as a member of a foreign media organization
  • Seeking permanent residence in the United States

Family Members:

Since there is not a derivative status for the B-2 visa, spouses and children must also individually hold their own B-2 status.


If you plan to extend the duration of your B-2 status, the Austin attorneys with the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC charge the following in attorney’s fees when filing in the United States through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (please take a moment to look over this disclaimer), in addition to the filing fee that is currently charged by the USCIS:

Change/Extension Status in the USA:

  • $1,000 attorney’s fees
  • $370 USCIS filing fee
  • $85 biometrics fee for each family member (if applicable)

Application outside of USA at a Consular Office:

  • $2,000 in attorney’s fees for the immigration application
  • $1,000 in attorney’s fees for family’s application (if any family is also applying)
  • $160 + Reciprocity Fee per person US Consular fees

Our Austin legal team understands how important it is that this process goes smoothly for you; we may do everything we can to help you complete an accurate application that is filed by the appropriate deadline.

How Do I Begin the Process?

The first step to obtaining a visa is to fill out the application. You can fill out the application online or at your country’s U.S. Embassy or consulate. You can find a list of embassy and consulate locations here.

As part of the application process, you’ll be required to submit a photo. Make sure that whatever photo you submit with your application meets State Department guidelines. If your photo does not meet these guidelines, there’s a good chance your application will be rejected.

The next step in obtaining a visa will be to schedule an interview. Most visa applications require an interview, though there are some exceptions. Applicants age 13 and younger, or 80 and over, generally do not need to be interviewed to obtain a visa. For applicants age 14-79, the interview is sometimes waived if the applicant is seeking a renewal for a visa instead of a new visa.

Wait times can vary greatly depending on your country of origin, time of year, and so on, so your best bet is to begin the application process as soon as possible and schedule your interview as early as you can. You should apply for your visa and schedule your interview at your country’s embassy or consulate; while you may be able to get an interview at another country’s embassy or consulate, doing so may end up voiding your visa application.

After you’ve scheduled your interview, make sure to gather the necessary documentation for your visa application and bring it with you to your interview. You’ll need a valid passport, the confirmation page showing you’ve completed the online DS-160 form, a receipt showing you paid the necessary application fee, and a printed photo if your photo upload failed while you were filling out the DS-160 form online. Depending on your country of origin, you may need additional documentation as well, so be sure to check with your country’s U.S. Embassy or consulate.

At your interview, a consular officer will determine if you’re eligible for a B-2 visa or if any additional information is required. If the consular officer needs any additional information from you, be sure to provide it quickly to keep the application process moving smoothly.

Information and Document Needed for B-2

Sample Retainer Agreement

Consult with an Immigration Attorney in Austin

At the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC, our Austin immigration attorneys have the experience and the resources to help you pursue the extension of your B-2 status. To discuss the particulars of your situation with a member of our Austin legal team, please call our offices at (512) 323-2333 today.

What Our Clients Are Saying

Reg Feb 19, 2023

Organize, transparent and reliable. This is Mr.Jang's service and his team! Highly recommend. He was recommended to us in the first place. Thank you!

Avinash Collis
Avinash Collis Feb 16, 2023

I highly recommend Mr. Jang. We filed our EB I-485 applications with his firm and had a fantastic experience. Mr. Jang and Sofia were amazing, promptly responding to our queries, with exceptional attention to detail in filing the forms, and in general, treating us very well. Our applications also... Read More

Alejandro Colunga
Alejandro Colunga Dec 27, 2022

He help me out with my TN Visa. The process was very fast and smooth. He is very responsive via email as well as phone calls. He properly advices you accordingly to your immigration status. Totally recommend him.

daniel nam
daniel nam Dec 21, 2022

I'm so happy my wife and I chose to go with the William Jang. We thought immigration process was a long, and frustrating at times process. However, wife and I received our permanent resident card in 2 months. We could not have done it without William Jang. We highly recommend using this team for... Read More

Ming Li
Ming Li Jun 23, 2022

Had my first consultation with Attorney Jang, and it’s so helpful! Mr. Jang is the most professional attorney that I have ever consulted so far.

Andrew Kim
Andrew Kim Mar 26, 2022

I contacted the Law Office of William Jang back in August of 2021 for help filing my N-400, and with Mr. Jang and his assistants' help, I was able to file the application in October and received my citizenship in March of 2022. Mr. Jang was there every step of the way - he helped me gather and... Read More

See More Reviews
Don’t wait until it’s too late!  Contact us today at 512-323-2333