Call Today (512) 323-2333

K-3 Visa/Status—Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Start Your Evaluation Chat Live Now!

As the world has become an increasingly interconnected place, there is greater chance than ever before that you may meet your spouse while traveling outside of the United States. If you decide to reside in the United States together, however, there are few legal technicalities that you and your partner will need to work through to obtain permanent residency for whichever spouse is not a citizen of the U.S. While the legal process of obtaining permanent residency is underway, foreign spouses may obtain the K-3 visa status to stay with their partner until that process is complete.

Table Of Contents

    Basic Requirements:

    In order to file for the K-3 visa status, the applicant and his or her United States citizen partner must already have a pending petition for permanent residency (I-130). With the K-3 visa status, spouses of U.S. citizens may enter and remain in the U.S. so long as the I-130 petition is awaiting approval.

    Duration of Stay:

    Individuals who obtain the K-3 visa status may typically remain in the United States as long as it takes to have their petition for permanent residency adjudicated.

    Family Members:

    Children may accompany and remain with their parent in the United States with the K-2 derivative status. To be eligible, children must be less than 21 years old and unmarried.


    At the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC, our Austin immigration attorneys charge the following in attorney’s fees to file the main petition for the K-3 visa status when it will be filed in the United States at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)(please take a moment to read this disclaimer), in addition to the fees that are currently charged by the USCIS:

    • $3,000 attorney’s fees for the primary beneficiary
    • $500 attorney’s fees for each accompanying child
    • $535 USCIS filing fee
    • $265 + Reciprocity Fee per person US Consular fees

    What do I need to do to begin?

    Information and Document Needed for K-3

    Sample Retainer Agreement

    Consult with a K-3 Visa/Status Attorney in Austin

    At the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC, our Austin K-3 visa status attorneys are committed to helping international couples obtain the means to be together while a more permanent solution is secured. To speak with one of our Austin immigration attorneys about your situation, please call our Austin offices at (512) 323-2333 today.

    Don’t wait until it’s too late!  Contact us today at 512-323-2333