Visa Waiver Program
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) was established in 1986 as a means of eliminating many unnecessary barriers to international travel, increasing international tourism, and freeing up the Department of State’s consular resources. Under the VWP, the citizens of 35 participating countries may travel to the United States for the purposes of business of travel for a period of 90 days or fewer without a visa. However, it should be noted that people who are eligible for the VWP may still want to apply for a visa if they wish to remain for a longer period of time or participate in activities not permitted under this program.
35 Countries Currently Participate in the VWP
The following table includes all 35 countries that currently participate in the VWP:
To travel under the VWP, citizens of countries included in the program must meet a number of eligibility requirements, including the following:
- Possess valid authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before traveling;
- Possess a passport from an approved country that will be valid for at least six months (except when there are country specific exemptions) after their expected travel period in the United States;
- Intend to stay in the United States for a period of 90 days or fewer for any of the purposes outlined by the B-2 temorary visitor visa or B-1 business visitor visa;
- Possess current enrollment in the US-VISIT program run by the Department of Homeland Security;
- Travel on an approved air or sea transportation carrier and possess the a return ticket to a destination outside of the United States;
- Possess sufficient financial resources to support themselves while traveling in the United States.
Consult with an Immigration Attorney in Austin
If you would like to ensure that you or a loved one will have everything necessary to enter the United States under the VWP, you should speak with one of the Austin immigration attorneys at the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC. To discuss your concerns with one of our Austin attorneys, please call our Austin offices at (512) 323-2333 today.